Romeo and Juliet
Begin reading the book this evening for homework. You will have a quiz on act one this Thursday.
During final exams, each group will present a live performance to your class of your act. This will be in the format of “Shakespeare on Speed” – 10 minutes. Each performance will include appropriate costumes and props.
In addition, each group will teach the class ONE of the following topics. Click the linked topic for more information on your group’s topics:
1. Shakespeare’s life/background/controversies
2. Elizabethan theater history lesson (actors, writers, patrons of the court, etc.) The Globe and The Rose theaters. Who was in the audience? The rich? Poor? Middle class?
3. British and society Politics during Queen Elizabeth’s rule.
4. The language/iambic pentameter, dialogue, vocabulary, inverted sentences, etc. What dialog from Romeo and Juliet is still commonly used today and WHY?
5. Literary analysis: setting (why in Italy?), themes, motifs, symbols, characters, dramatic structure of plays (exposition, conflict, climax, resolution).